On the Job Training

On the Job Training

It’s a sunny day!  Thank you Mother Nature, I needed that.  Spring may come after all.

Taking a shortcut sometimes comes back to bite one.  Last weekend, I was the one bitten.  On small quilts like “Sewist’s Delight” I don’t do any kind of basting.  The cotton tops and backs generally stick to the batting (except for wool) pretty well and I get good results.  Enter Sewist’s Delight and my idea to do straight line quilting in the dark blue parts.

I would be the first to tell you that straight lines are challenging, even with a walking foot.  Fabric, by its very nature moves no matter what.  Basting only controls that to a certain degree.  Knowing this going in helped me to not expect absolute perfection.  I decided that the best way to do this project was to do one quarter at a time, starting with the inner blue border and moving on to the outer blue border.  The blue inner border was okay, but it didn’t have very sharp corners.

The blue on blue quilting doesn’t show it it the picture, but it bugged me.  So I got out my chalk pencil and ruler and drew myself some lines so I would have sharp corners that all lined up.  I should also mention that when I do straight line quilting, I lengthen my machine stitch a bit.  I like the look and more importantly, if, heaven forbid, I have to take stitches out I won’t need a microscope.

I went on to do the outer border and pretty much congratulated myself on being so clever.  This is where I probably jinxed it.  I smoothed out the next block and quilted the inner border and started on the outer one.  I very soon realized that I hadn’t smoothed enough from the first block to this one and there was more fabric than could be quilted out.

This turn of events was NOT amusing.  I spent the next two hours taking out the eleven rows of stitching on the inside border and the three rows I’d completed on the outer border.  The next thing I tried was safety pinning.  I would probably never do this on a larger scale, but I needed to hold the next block a little tighter.

The whole thing didn’t need pinning, but I needed to be sure I was starting out right on the inner border.  This worked much better, if not perfectly.

For the next 2 blocks I’m using spray adhesive.  I may also use some pins.  While I’m not a raging perfectionist, I do have standards.  I’ll let you know how it turns out.  To be continued.

On another front we’re realizing more and more how important tools are to quilting.  A new page will be added to this website to highlight the tools we’ve loved and maybe a few we wish we’d left at the store.  Tools are pretty personal.  What we love, you might find useless.  With this in mind, we invite you to tell us about the tools you love (and hate).  We’d like to pass this info on to others.  Most of our favorites have been suggested to us by other quilters and have become basics in our quilting toolbox.

While you’re here, sign up for our monthly newsletter, above, right.  Then click on the shop button to see our quilt patterns.

To sunny days and open windows!

Quilt for fun!

Candy

 

 

 

Don't be selfish, Share!

Share to Facebook
Share to Google Plus

Speak Your Mind

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.